Surfing Vancouver Island  

Nanaimo surfer dropping in  

Nanaimo surfer dropping in

Fri, 30 May 1997 23:53

I spent almost three hours tonight trying to find a really good Canadian Surfing web page and finally found it. The best thing, is that you live in Ladysmith. It's nice to know somebody else who needs to find out what the surf is doing and where to go without the luxury of being able to just drive down the road and look.

My name is Jeremy, I'm 18 yrs. old and I live in Nanaimo. My main mission with finding the page was being able to get buoy readings and stuff so that if I plan on going up I know whether to expect good surf or bad.

This is about my third year surfing since I moved to Nanaimo. I met a bunch of friends in high school that were really into surfing and since I'd always wanted to do it they took me up and I've never looked back. Their interests have changed a bit but for me it's still the only thing on my mind.

I was trying so hard looking at your pictures to see if maybe there were some new breaks that I didn't recognize but to tell you the truth, I didn't recognize any. I guess that's pretty good though, you know, crowd control.

You said to send stories so here's mine about a session earlier this week. I believe the exact date was May 27th and 28th. Two other guys and I drove up late on Tuesday and didn't get up until around 7:30 at night. I thought that if there was no wind I would go out no matter how big the surf was and sure enough, the wind was calm. We wanted to spend as much time in the water as possible before it got dark so we just B-lined for Spot L and went in there. I hate surfing there most of the time but I was willing to put up with it for a quick evening session. It turned out to be quite nice actually and the waves got bigger as the night went on. The annoying thing was that it got dark real fast and I wanted to stay out.
I hate having to come in when I haven't had enough.

Anyways, the next day we drove and checked the main breaks then went into town to grab a bite and head back out to pick where to go. Nothing was looking that great. We grabbed gas and the guy pumping said that the swell was pushing from the south sending some good sized waves into Spot X for sure. He wasn't sure about Spot F or down that way. We'd already seen Spot X and I wasn't too happy with it. We ended up walking into Spot C and taking a look from there. The left side of Spot C was absolutely flat but the right side, straight off the rock and all the way over to Spot X were pushing about four maybe five feet max. I was quite impressed. The tide was so low in fact that we ended up paddling out and surfing right of the point on the right side of Spot C. The swell was causing a peak that pealed both ways. The whole time I was out I kept looking over into Spot N and seeing some people getting some really good waves. I paid the price for going out the night before. I surfed quite bad and was so tired I thought I wasn't going to make it each time I got a ride and had to paddle out.

As the tide moved in, the peak disappeared somewhat and the surf in Spot C went pretty bad. As I went in I took one look back at Spot C and it was still goin off pretty good. Those guys over there were probably really happy.

So that's my story. My two other friends had a real good time, one isn't such a great surfer but the other guy just moved here from South Africa and he rips. It was cool watching him pull some big moves on some Canadian waves. He said it was the best session he's had in Canada since he got here.

Well, I don't have much more to say but if you wanna write back, that'd be cool. Maybe we could hook up on the coast sometime and surf. If I knew who to look for I'd keep my eyes peeled. You guys have an awesome sight going and I hope you keep it up. It was nice to see Competition results and stuff. Thanks for keeping the spots secret too. It's getting pretty busy up there as is. If you get the time please write back. Thanks!!


Sat, 5 Jul 1997 20:40

Hey, to bad you didn't go Friday man it was pretty good. I had a late leaving because I slept through my alarm but Byron and I got up around 12:30. We spent the whole day at Spot C. It was nice but slow coming with the sets when we first got out but eventually it picked up and the sets were almost constant. The waves were waist to shoulder with the occasional over head. They were peeling left and right it was nice. By the afternoon the wind picked up just a little onshore but didn't do much to the waves. I surfed for about five and a half hours straight I was having such a good time. There was hardly anyone out too. I was surprised. Byron borrowed a longboard from some guy for awhile and was having a blast on it. I wasn't into riding it that day, I was doing pretty good on the shortboard with a really nice front side re-entry on a wave that was just closing out. I still can't believe I pulled it off. The sun shined all day which made everything so much nicer.

One of the Juniors from the surfing BCSA Competition was out in the afternoon and I couldn't believe how good he was. I saw him pull at least three really nice cut-backs on this one wave. I don't know what his name was but I recognized his face from your pictures.

My work schedule is sort of weird right now but I'm hoping to haveMonday off so I can go up.










advertisement | site map | weather | classifieds | email

appropriate listings and links for businesses, organizations, and individuals are free.
Advertising on this website

thanks for visiting

Copyright © 1997-2019 All rights reserved. | Terms of Use