2003 Roxy Quiksilver Surf Jam
Cox Bay, Tofino BC
2003 Quicksilver/Roxy Surf Jam
A quick report on the Jam
• Sunday the swell dropped considerably. Shoulder to head high w/light offshores. Lots of clean walls and sunshine.
• Sepp Bruhwiler wins the 2003 Surf Jam Pro Title. This is a long overdue win for Sepp and he ripped the face off every wave that came close to him in the finals. We've got some good, if a little shaky video of the Men's Pro Finals coming in a day or two. Check back.
Congratulations Sepp and we wish you every success with Bruhwiler Surf Camp this year.
• In the Jr Men's Quarter Finals none of those Juniors could punch out through the Beach Break. In the finals Jordan Chabot decides to approach Cox like it's a south island point or reef and while the announcer wails over the PA "Jordan, you are out of the competition area." "Jordan, the Judges cannot score your rides down there." If Jordan has any friends on the beach, run down to there and tell him to get back up to the competition area." Jordan Chabot continues on his mission ............. to paddle around the break. I'm talking about the whole damn Cox Bay.
The guy scores big for his trouble. He gets out and paddles back up the bay to the competition area and while the other finalists are serving up mushburgers on the inside, Jordan is catching screamers on the outside. He walked away with 1st place and totally deserved it.
It was too cool
• Addiction Surfboards of Sooke,
donated a new surfboard to be raffled off. The kid that won it took third in the Junior boy's and I heard he bought one raffle ticket with his own money and ended up with the 6'3-18 1/2-2 3/8.high performance shortboard with fcs (occy fins)single to double concave. He had the greatest look of disbelief as he walked up to get his new stick, and this look of pure joy as he took his board back to show his mom.
It was perfect.
Louis from Addiction with board winner
• BIG MEAN SWELL. I'm talking a bend, fold, spindle and mutilate kinda day. Most people stayed inside because outside was halfway out the bay. Usual winter Cox, a week before summer starts.
• Poured rain with occasional wind squalls until mid morning, and then steadily improved until we got a bit of sun.
• Great day, Old home week. Lots of old friends and friendly faces. Gotta love the Surf Jam.